Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Finding Rest

All of us at times get overwhelmed with situations in our life. Stress, sickness, discouragement, and a bunch of other things can overwhelm us. We get that feeling of , "I don't know how much more I can take" , or we ask ourselves, " man, is this ever going to change? " We just get worn out from everything going on and just want some rest.

There is something that Jesus said that has encouraged many people for the last 2,000 years and maybe it can encourage you today.



“"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:28-30‬ ‭

A paraphrased version of the Bible puts it this way:
““Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:28-30‬ ‭MSG‬‬

Jesus says that he is gentle and humble in heart. He also says that his yoke is easy and burden is light. Yoke is “a type of harness that connects a pair of oxen.” It is used metaphorically to refer to submission to a teacher. In New Testament times the phrase, “to take the yoke of” was used by rabbi’s to refer to “becoming a submitted student of a teacher.”

This is not just for those who aren't believers , but also believers in Jesus. So often we feel we know best for our lives. As we try to make our desired outcome happen we get stressed , discouraged, worn out when things don't turn out the way we are trying so hard to make happen.


Are you discouraged? Are you bombarded by a sense of worry or fear? Do you feel that you are carrying a heavy load and you feel like you can’t take it anymore? Jesus invites us to take his yoke… to trust His ways instead of your ways. Believe that God knows better.

Be encouraged, Jesus is ready and willing to help . We just need to come to Him and submit to His ways. He promises as we do that we will find rest for our souls.

Troy




No comments:

Post a Comment