Monday, June 25, 2012

Fathers and Sons and Baseball Games

Anyone who knows me know I am a die-hard Cubs fan. I bleed Cubbie blue and I'm not afraid to admit it. I also truly love the game of baseball. There are a few times during the week when I will wear a Cubs jersey. Initially I wore them just because I am a Cubs fan. What I found out though, was that it was a conversation starter. I can't tell you how many people have stopped me while wearing a baseball jersey and shared with me some story about baseball.It can be at the grocery store, the library, even a book store. It's not just Cubs fans. I remember a person who was originally from Brooklyn talking to me about the Dodgers. I had an older gentleman who was a Cardinals fan pull out a World Series ticket from 1985 and say to me,"here let me show you this since I know you've never seen one." Just endless stories. That's not including all the Cubs fans who are still waiting.



Most of the stories I hear from people have a common theme. Of all the stories they could share with me, most of them are stories that go back to their childhood and going to games with their dads. I am talking 75 or 80 year old men. Most tell me a few stories, but the ones that they linger on are the one's when they were between 5-20 years of age and going to a game with their dad. I love listening to them because the men get a twinkle in their eye and a smile on their face. I have been astonished over the years as I hear the stories because of the usual pattern of the conversation. They start out telling me what team they like and then it automatically goes to their youth. If the story goes long enough then it goes to them taking their kids and their grandkids to a game. I could also share stories of daughters and fathers.

My first game with my dad was the Cubs against the San Francisco Giants. It was around 1971, we sat on the first base side down by the Giants bullpen. The Giants had a pitcher by the name of Elias Sosa and everyone around us kept yelling,"Sosa, Sosa" all game long.

My dad and I didn't see the Cubs win a game until 2003. That's right, from 1971 until 2003 the Cubs lost every game that we went to.We got close around 1989 against the Dodgers. The Cubs were ahead going into the top of the 9th, but the Dodgers rallied and tied the game. The Cubs eventually lost in 15 innings. Ironcally, it was the Cubs beating the Giants which was the first time we saw the Cubs win.

In our family there is the story of two of my uncles and my grandpa up at Wrigley during the 1945 World Series. My uncles wanted to go in, but my grandpa uttered these famous words,"I'll take you the next time they are in the World Series." My uncles are still waiting.

After 2003, my dad and I got on a roll and the Cubs have begun to win just about every game we have been to since then.

Probably the most memorable time for me with my dad at a Cubs game was when he turned 65. His birthday is in July, but in April I called Wrigley field and got it arranged to have my dad's birthday acknowledged on the scoreboard. I will always remember the look on his face when I told him to look at the scoreboard when it came on. I remember him telling me later,"that was weird because I recognized the name but I couldn't think of who it was because you aren't expectng to see your name on the scoreboard at Wrigley Field." The Cubs beat the Reds that night.



There is more that I could share, but I guess that to me going to a baseball game with your dad is one of those graces that God lets us experience in this life. I thank God for all the wonderful memories of being at a game with my dad. It's something that remains with us all our lives. The memory is always there. And even at age 75 or 80 you still get a twinkle in your eye and smile on your face when you remember going to a ballgame with your dad.

Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment